Sheryl Eggleston

A Journey of Words and Stitches



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Walk On



This in one of my favorite small art quilts. It is rich and vibrant, filled with a bit of mystery. Now that could apply to alot of things! But today it applies to having the courage to walk on.

I am just loving the book "The 12 Secrets of Creative Women". One sentence I underlined yesterday,
"It takes courage to admit we are on the wrong train and risk disapproval or possibly look foolish". That has been my journey of the last 2 1/2 years as I've tried to find the right creative balance. And I feel like I am almost there.

I have literally kept walking through that door everyday, trying new opportunities. I especially liked the quote by Mary Pickford:
"When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind, and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power."

Another one by Oprah in the same vein:
"Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness."

Failure is only failure if we let it rule us, if we don't move forward. I love moving forward, trying new things. We only have one life and there are so many incredible opportunities just waiting for us to explore. Even small steps make up the miles. Again today, I will drive by the bakeries and eat my apples and celery instead. Again today, I will go to the studio and create not knowing if my project will be accepted when it is done. Today I will be happy in just the joy of creating.
Just showing up at the open door is a step in the right direction.

1 comment: