Sheryl Eggleston

A Journey of Words and Stitches



Thursday, March 11, 2010



Last night I collected bits and pieces with the intent to make a random pieced and embroidered banner for this blog. This is what came out of those meanderings. It isn't done and may not make it into the banner, but I really like it.

Looking around my house, I easily count 10 pictures with houses in them. It is a theme I've only recently become consciously aware of. When I think about all the cross stitch and quilting patterns I have, most include houses. A UK acquaintence told me several years ago that I was a 'home bird'. I wasn't ready to accept that judgement then, but now I am, because it is true and always has been.

I was at the point where to try new challenges, I thought I needed a studio away from my home. In some ways, it was very helpful as it gave me the courage to become the type of artist I want to be. It has been a long process and I've made some great strides on who I want to be and what I want to create in this next part of my life.

I don't think I would have done it if I had initially tried this at home. Home was a nurturing center for my family but not necessarily for me. The circle of life continues on as children grow up and find their own center. My home can now become a creative, nurturing center for me that I can share with my family.

Now, with new courage and confidence, I'm ready to move my studio home. I know I have the focus and determination and some of the skills. Luckily, my lease is over about the time I plan to move everything!

"My angels prompt me to remember that courage is always more rewarding than cowardice" Janet Hagberg, from "The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women" by Gail McMeekin
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

I am a self-help/creative studies book junkie, so tomorrow I'll have a list of them you may enjoy and want to order. I'll also have the Barnes and Noble Book Fair number that can be used from March 13-18th in store or online. Our Irish Dance school "An Daire" gets part of all sales, even in the cafe!, if you mention the school and give them the number.

No comments:

Post a Comment