Sheryl Eggleston

A Journey of Words and Stitches



Saturday, April 3, 2010

Peeking Through the Fence

Originally this was a painted piece of fabric that I then cut into strips. I like the contrast of black so I added some of those. These weren't sewn together at this point.



I looked at it for quite some time on my design wall and wondered what to do with it. I played with the widths of black and the size. I needed a 12" square piece for the SAQA Auction that begins September 20th. So I chose a section with a nice color range and sewed it all together. What to do next?

I sketched up a little pastoral scene showing birds frolicking in the early morning sky and pond. Normally I like to do hand work, but I need to start practicing using my machine more so I used black thread, and machine stitched the scene. Too much fun and effective too!



I love ribbons, button, beads and stuff. In my mind this was looking pretty stark without things growing up and around the fence pickets, so I couched ribbons and threads down with beads. This is where I get to do the hand work I love so much. I'm as much a process person as I am a project person. I like the journey as much as the completion. Already my mind is full of ideas for the next quilt.



This is the finished piece and I'm happy with it. It will be on the SAQA 2010 Benefit Auction that starts September 20th. Click on the SAQA logo on the side bar and go to 2010 Benefit Auction to view some of the other pieces that will be for sale. Studio Art Quilt Associates is a fantastic non-profit promoting the art quilt medium in a variety of venues.



I'm not one to bust through walls, and I can get tired of climbing, but while I work through the process of completing a piece I can see progress. I have created a fence that I can peek through, see the promise of a beautiful new day and climb through when I'm ready.

3 comments:

  1. very cool, and VERY original. great work, roomie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring! I love this. I wish there were more hours in the day... I so want to spend more time with you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awsome Sheryl! I love the pieces of fabric that underlay the one you're painting too! The fence scene is so fabulous! xoxoxo Poor nose! Get better soon! xoxo sue

    ReplyDelete