Sheryl Eggleston

A Journey of Words and Stitches



Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Slowing down



"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast-you also miss the sense of where you are going and why."
Eddie Cantor - from the book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron.

That sums up one of the lessons I learned from my recent trip to the beach. There is nothing like sitting and watching the waves to calm the soul and slow one down. In that moment we take pause, almost subconsciously, and realize there is value in slowing down our daily lives and just enjoying the company of ourselves and others.

Of course, it could just be my own lesson I'm learning and not meant for anyone else. I've been meaning and needing to slow it down for awhile and just enjoy life and the process of creation. In these days of multi-tasking and instant messaging/information overload, it takes a conscious effort to not get wrapped up in the 'getting' of it all.

It doesn't mean that my days won't be as full as ever with a large garden, dogs, chickens, turkeys, daughter and grandkids, husband, art, but I think I will look at it differently, as something to be savored and enjoyed within that moment. At least that is my hope.


The piece above was hand appliqued and embroidered on an antique kimono sleeve. The crane is very serene as he waits for whatever the stream will bring his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment